Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Look everyone, a post and it hasn't even been a month since my last one. This weekend I went out to Buffalo, NY for their coronation, for the most part, I had a wonderful time... there was some drama, but nothing insurmoutable... somehow in a drunken stupor on Friday night, I sprained my knee and ended up visiting the emergency room to make sure it wasn't going to fall off. It is still very painful and today my lower leg is all swollen. If it doesn't get better, I suppose I should go to a doctor here.

The main reason for this post is to share a story with you from Saturday night. I was having a bad evening cuz of the pain in my leg, and some of the unfurling drama surrounding the event, and I was down in the hotel lobby at the ATM. I had my face completely made up and this little black girl asked her mother why I was wearing make up. Her mother explained that I did drag, and that I was the woman that she had just seen about 30 minutes ago. The little girl leaned into her mom and said just above a whisper "Mom, some people call those people gay" her mother leaned back and said "some people call you a nigger, is that very nice?" This little girls eyes got really big and sad and she walked over to the ATM machine and tugged on my shirt and said "I am sorry if I hurt your feelings, I didn't mean to..." Amazing how one instant can change your intire outlook on things. For a split second I saw the world through the eyes of an innocent child, and I watch a wonderful mother take the opportunity to squash hate before it ever had a chance to get started. My hat is off to her, she is doing what so many fail at. I should also mention that these people were in the hotel for a Baptist convention. I have said a thousand times, it is the mark of a true Christian to not sit in judgement of anyone...unfortunately I don't think there are many of them around. I would love to peek in on that little girls life 20 years from now and see what becomes of her.

2 Comments:

At May 19, 2004 at 8:00 PM, Blogger emeraldimp said...

Cheers. Nice story.

 
At June 13, 2004 at 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me at all, but that story was pretty cool. Just thought I'd let ya know.

-Dice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home