Wednesday, January 14, 2004

So I knew it wouldn't take long before something got me going...

Today, one of the colonists put a post on his blog that made me so angy I didn't know how to respond... So I have consulted some of my close friends and people that I turn to for advice and guidance. First off you can read the post I am talking about at but the part in particular that I am talking about is this:

"So what overall is my view on homosexuality? Basically, it lies in minimization. As genetic engineering evolves, i think it prudent to find the gay genes and try to take them out of society, lessening the numbers and increasing the welfare of these now "breeder" children. I don't think those that are already born, or even those born in the future should be persecuted, but I also find it counterproductive to give rights and privileges to a section of a society which should be minimized. Homosexuals are often wonderful people and I don't deny that in any way. But, from an optimum-seeking point of view, it would be better if they were straight. "

My good friend Tony came up with the following response:

You are constituionally entitled to free speech, however, when your use of your constitutional rights to pursue a riotous position they are violated. Just as you may not scream "fire" in a theatre you may not suggest that people to be "genetically re-eingineered" to elimnate a potentially undesirable social trait as it is inciteful of riot. Please know that our particular society is in the midst of growth and flux and making decisions so drastic as to remove a segment is foolish, short-sighted and clearly lacking in the knowledge of social change. Please also know that our society is one of many on this tiny little thing we call our planet. Many of these societies would be less than pleased to think that at one point in history, given the opportunity, you would have chosen to eliminate them because of a perceived flaw...Have you heard of a little thing called "The Hallocaust"? I suggest you visit a museum in your area and re-visit your ideals on "elimination" and "minimization".

I could have not said it any better and anything I try to add to this will just be beating a dead horse. The one thing I do want to say is that I do apploaud Jason for having the balls to speak his views, knowing full well that they are going to cause him flack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home